Saturday, September 14, 2013

The second time Dad and Mom came to visit

As is now a tradition, Dad and Mom came to visit me the first week of September again this year.  This week was chosen specifically because it was the week that the USA national team came to Costa Rica to play the Costa Rican national team for a World Cup qualifying game.  After kind of a lot of drama and it being nearly impossible to find tickets, we were able to purchase them and attend the game.  And what a game it was!!  The Costa Ricans were quite pumped up to beat the USA after the game that the two teams had played in Denver, CO earlier this year where the USA won during a massive snow storm.  Wisely, we did not announce that we were US citizens or cheer against the Ticos while at the game, and the Costa Rican team ended up winning 3-1.  A lot of national pride was shown by the Tico fans and it was really fun to see how excited they were with the win.  Costa Rica and USA have both qualified for the World Cup next year so I will have to decide who I'm going to root for.  :)
Top row of the end zone seats, and Dad sporting the Tico jersey.
I was blessed to have my parents help out for two days at the Tutoring Center.  They helped teach English, Dad played a lot of soccer and a simple version of baseball, Mom taught a craft lesson of making washer necklaces at girls' club, they baked cookies, corrected math problems, prayed for us, etc.  I'm proud of them with the limited Spanish that they know and how they were able to make connections with the kiddos that I work with on a regular basis.  And it is encouraging to me to know that they now have a bigger picture of what my work here with the kids of Los Guido looks like and be able to share that with friends and family in the States. 

A bonus of having Dad and Mom come to visit is that they want to do some of the tourist things that I don't do that often since I am a resident here and also living on support.  :)  We spent three nights in Manuel Antonio National Park and had a wonderful time!  We saw sloths, monkeys, snakes, butterflies, frogs, iguanas, and many other animals.  We zipped through the canopy on a wonderful zip line tour.  We hung out at the beach and Dad and Mom spent a good hour boogy boarding in the warm ocean.  We ate yummy food and drank delicious coffee.  And I am so thankful for my trusty Suzuki that I was able to take us around in this visit.  A great time spent together and I am blessed by the adventurous and wonderful parents that the Lord has given me.  Maybe next year Peter, Toni, Kate, Aaron and Courtney can also make a trip! :)


 

No comments:

Post a Comment