Sunday, January 5, 2014

My Costa Rica

 As I was riding the bus into San Jose this past week to go and pay our monthly rent, I was feeling a bit nostalgic about living in Costa Rica.  I had just spent an action packed 17 days in California, celebrating Christmas and spending time with dear friends and family, which was a wonderful time overall.  But I was ready to get back to my "normal" and my life here.  There are things I miss about California, one important one being Target.  Seriously, if Target made an appearance here, I think I might be able to stay forever.  ;)  But there are things that I have come to love about Costa Rica, specifically, my experience here in Desamparados, and I wanted to share a few of those here.
  • Paying approximately fifty cents to ride the bus into San Jose from my home, which saves me the headache of one-way street driving and searching and paying for parking.
  • Getting my oil changed by a nice gentleman who calls me "mi amor" and "mi reina."  He's not hitting on me and it's really only because he doesn't know my name- but if an oil change worker in CA called me "my queen" I think I might give him a dirty look.  It is just more acceptable and nice in Spanish.
  • Greeting people and wishing them a happy new year days after the new year began.  I think the idea of greeting and saying goodbye to everyone who is in the room is a wonderful thing.
  • My friendship with my "watchy-man" Oscar who guards the cars at the gym I attend.  I brought him some almonds and Dewar's candy and he told me that he had been wondering when I was coming back from my trip to California.  It's nice to be missed.  
  • Costa Rican coffee just can't be beat.
  • The beauty of the countryside...I am totally fine with the rainy season because of the gorgeous green that can be seen everywhere as a result.
  • And my friends and SI family that is here.  I am so blessed by them.  

Beach time with these great friends and fellow SI staffers
Another beautiful sunset seen out my bedroom window
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment