Saturday, October 1, 2011

On speaking tour...

The past few weeks have been kinda busy and exciting on the fundraising side of things!  I had the opportunity to share in the Shafter MB church two weeks ago and at Neighborhood Church in Visalia this past Sunday.  While a bit nerve racking, it was such a blessing to be able to tell friends, family, and fellow followers of Jesus what God has been doing in my life over the past few years and where He is leading me.  It was really fun for me to share in Shafter because that is the church that I spent the first eighteen years of my life in.  That was where I came to a relationship with Christ, grew in my knowledge of Jesus and the Bible, served in youth ministry, and had my first missions trip experience.  I was really confirmed and blessed by the people of that congregation by kind words and encouragement.  

Sharing at Neighborhood was quite different; for one thing, we have two services there so I got to stand on stage in front of lots of people two times.  Also, the worship center is really big and there were a lot of pairs of eyes staring up at me!  But it was so exciting to get to talk to people after the service, people that I had never met before but somehow had a connection to Students International, teaching or Costa Rica.  I was blessed with the opportunity to be able to let me church for the past six years know what my next step is on this journey of faith and trust.

The good news is that my fundraising is coming in!!  I have about $650 pledged monthly with the goal being about $2000.  My good friend Ashely, a numbers person through and through, informed me that I'm about a third of the way there to meet my goal.  My one-time costs funds are coming in and I'm blown away at the generosity of friends and family.  I need about $10,000 to pay for plane tickets, 3 weeks of missions training in Colorado, Spanish language school, Visa and residency costs, moving costs, possibly a used car...and I'm about halfway there with $5000 in my account thus far!  Praise God, I am so blessed.  :)  It has honestly been strange for me to talk to people and ask for money, it's not something I've ever experienced in this way.  But I know that this is part of the journey of trust and stepping out that the Lord has me on, and He's proving to be faithful in providing for my needs.

Another really great piece of news is that I was able to talk with my principal and dear friends at my school, and while there is sadness for the hole that I will be leaving in our school community, they are excited and supportive of me.  I will need to put in a letter of resignation within the next month, so I'm praying that I will have enough of my support pledged or in my account to project that my February departure date is a reality.  If you think of it, I'd cherish prayers for continual wisdom in all these decisions I'm having to make and that support will continue to come in, in His timing. 

1 comment:

  1. We are so excited for you!!!! Know that we will be praying for you. We wish we could give $ but just can't right now. Perhaps once hubby gets a job...in 2 years...:) I will be following you, Tara K. LOVE YOU!!!!

    ReplyDelete