Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Two worlds collide

Since I moved here in March, everyone (with the exception of two of our summer interns) have been new friends and co-workers to get to know.  That means having to start from the beginning when it comes to sharing about myself and learning about them.  I've been able to keep in touch okay with friends and family from home, but it's just not the same as having loved ones here in the same place with me.

This past short term team that was here was the high schoolers from my home church, Neighborhood Church, in Visalia, along with three of my dear friends as leaders of the team.  What a crazy feeling to see all these familiar faces at the airport when I went to meet them!  The team was made up of 29 of them, with 11 of the students being my senior girls that I've known, loved, mentored, and lived life with since they were seventh graders.  Needless to say, it was a very special time to have them here with me for two weeks.

One of the highlights for me was to have co-leader and dear friend Jessica and our senior girls over to my house here in Desamparados for dinner and games.  I have missed spending time with them and hearing about their lives, and so I cherished the laughs we shared that evening.  I tried to make the most of walks to the bus stop, riding on the bus, lunch breaks, trip to the beach, etc. to connect with my girls as well as with the other students from Neighborhood.  To be honest, at times it was difficult for me emotionally because I really wanted to have special, meaningful time with all of them, and this was hard amidst the business of working and after work responsibilities.  But, at the end of the day, I am so thankful that they were here and got to be a part of my new life in Costa Rica.  It was really hard to say goodbye (for the second time) but this time I know that it will be Christmas vacation in a few short months and I'll be able to see them again.

Here are some highlights of my time spent with loved ones from Visalia:
Stephanie, who wasn't on the Costa Rica team, but was on the Peru team, so I got to see her while she had a layover in Costa Rica! :)

Dear friends Jessica and Noel who got to work with me everyday in the Tutoring Center.

My two senior girls Alisha and Alexis who were with me at the tutoring center.

Trying coffee at culture night

The Tutoring Center crew taking a walk around Los Guido

Loving the tres leches cake with Britley and Arianna

I loved seeing my sweet little blond friend Cecelia Grace Haynes again!

Senior girls dinner at my house

Some of my girls and I enjoying the beach together

The girls in the morning before we headed out to ministry sites

The entire Neighborhood Church team and Students International staff

No comments:

Post a Comment