Friday, March 23, 2012

Jesus heals the deaf and mute man

I realize this is a strange title for a blog that´s mainly about my adventures.  This past week I started language school, and since I´m the ONLY (that´s right, just me) student at the school, I have a 30 minute break every day, all to myself.  Rather than sit around bored, I decided to take advantage of the beautiful patio and sunshine there and spend some time with the Lord everyday. Today I was reading in Mark 7 about when Jesus healed the deaf and mute man, and I thought I´d share some things I took away from the passage.  I usually like to write in my journal as though I´m praying/talking to Jesus, which is why I say "you" in my writing...

Several things about this story are indicative of your character and are exemplary for us. 1) You took the needy man aside and focused on just him. You don´t just lump us (as humans) all together, heal us, love us, teach us, etc. all at once and in the same way. You want to minister to us apart from others, to let us know we are each different and special to you. 

2) You physically touched a man that society ignored and/or didn´t know what o do with. Saying the words "you are healed" could haved worked, but you must have known that this man needed a physical touch. To be honest, it sounds pretty gross to stick your finger in a person´s ear and to put your own spit on your fingers and touch another person´s tongue with it. But you did not think it was below you. Who may need a physical touch today, that I could share your love with in this way?

 3) You looked up at heaven, recognizing where your authority and strength came from. Jesus is God´s son, and yet he recognized that he needed Father God in order to perform this miracle, to give this deaf man the healing he needed. I (Tara) cannot do ¨great things¨on my own. I need to follow the example of Jesus and look to heaven as the source of my power and strength. Easier said than done. But seriously, who am I to be able to do anything on my own?  I´m Tara, the young lady with her clumsy Spanish and a heart for people- that´s what I am, and I need you to strengthen me and provide for me in all the areas that I come up short. May I not be afraid to touch ears and tongues if that is what you desire me to do to show your love.

No comments:

Post a Comment