Saturday, September 1, 2012

Club de Muchachas

Yesterday was the first day that I didn't have any team members of Intern Rebekah or fellow staff member Tracey with me at girls' club.  To be honest, I was a bit nervous because I'm still very much a learner of the Spanish language and get a bit flustered trying to communicate at times.  When I sat down to really think about what I wanted to do with the girls, I realized that I hadn't ever shared with them much at me- my heart from my family, friends, Spanish, for them, God, etc.  We spend each week talking about them and for sure I've shared some things here and there about myself, but not so much from my heart. 

I decided to talk to them about deciding to come here and how I'm content and happy to be here working with them and building relationships with them, but that at times, it is difficult and I miss all the people I love back in the States.  We talked about John 14 where Jesus is telling the disciples he is going to leave soon but that he will leave a helper, the Holy Spirit, to be with them at all times.  I shared with the girls that it's ok and even good to miss people that we love, and I know they can relate to this because they get to know team members and staff members who come and go, and that's hard on their hearts at times.  Some of the girls also have experienced having family members leave for a multitude of different reasons.  They didn't share very much about what they were thinking on this topic, but I could tell they were really listening and there were some tears that I saw slip down their cheeks as well.  I hope that as I am able to open up and be honest with them about my heart and what the Lord is teaching me, we can continue to build on our relationships and they will open up to me too.

We continued the theme of the morning by making homemade cards for people we love.  I absolutely LOVE being creative in this way and it was really fun sitting and laughing and giving ideas to these young ladies as they made their cards.  Lots of glue, ribbon, scrapbook paper, buttons  and lace were everywhere, but I wouldn't have it any other way.  :)

Kristtel and Wendy, two of my special girls

"Te quiero mucho" is what it is supposed to say, so sweet :)


Yuriely's "Barbie-like" drawing of me

1 comment: