Thursday, May 31, 2012

Desampa Culture

I've been living in Desamparados, Costa Rica, for 85 days now.  Every day I learn something new about the culture.  Today I thought I'd post some pics to give you some insight into Costa Rican culture.
Houses have bars/gates in front of them, and sometimes they have barbed wire.  It's a little tricky if you want to visit someone unexpectedly, but you just bang your keys on the gate and yell "upe!" to let your friends know you're there.

Soccer is huge.  It seems like everyone who lives around here is a very devoted fan of one of these two teams.  I have yet to choose which team/colors I support, I want to be fully informed before I make my decision.  :) 

Just one of the many young singers who is all the rage right now.  I hear Gusttavo Lima and his "Balada" everywhere.  It's pretty catchy, I'll admit.



Characters and clowns such as this are very popular.  Not quite sure why.

Combate, a reality tv game show, is the obsession of everyone high school and under.  You have to be super attractive and fit to be on this show.  I have chosen the orange team, strictly so I can relate with the students I work with.
Giant umbrellas like this are very common, especially with men.

Gallo pinto is the mix of black beans and rice with onions, known as a comida tipica.  Often served with eggs and platanos.  YUMMY!!

Faux hawk haircuts and piercings/tattoos are extremely popular with the young male population. 

Thursday is trash pickup day, so this is an accurate picture of what the streets look like.  Be careful where you walk on Thursdays!

No comments:

Post a Comment